Victorian Planning Guidelines November 2017

In Victoria, significant exclusion zones for wind energy facilities exists.

Naturally, in National Parks, State Parks and Coastal Parks and other high quality environmental and landscape locations in the state.

Wind energy facilities are not permitted in the following areas, in recognition of their landscape and environmental values:
National Parks and other land subject to the National Parks Act 1975.

  • Ramsar wetlands as defined under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999.
  • Yarra Valley and Dandenong ranges, Bellarine and Mornington Peninsulas, the Great Ocean Road area within five kilometres of the high water mark, and Macedon and McHarg Ranges.
  • Land within five kilometres of the high water mark of the Bass Coast, west of Wilsons Promontory.
  • All land west of the Hume Freeway and the Goulburn Valley Highway.
  • All land within five kilometres of the high water mark of the coast east of the urban area of Warrnambool.

Also a wind energy facility is a prohibited use in an Urban Growth Zone and on land within five kilometres of major regional cities and centres being:
Ararat, Bairnsdale, Ballarat, Bendigo, Benalla, Colac, Echuca, Geelong, Hamilton, Horsham, Mildura, Moe, Morwell, Portland, Shepparton, Swan Hill, Traralgon, Sale, Wangaratta, Warrnambool and Wodonga.

However, there are very important exceptions to wind energy facility prohibitions, including:

  1. Where the turbines are principally used to supply electricity for domestic or rural use of the land. These turbines are excluded from the definition of a wind energy facility in the Victorian Planning Provision.
  2. Turbines on land in a residential, industrial, commercial or special purpose zone that are integrated as part of the development. This allows for  the consideration of turbines in an urban setting which would allow for the generation of electricity to support the energy needs of a dwelling, industry, business or the like on the land.
  3. Turbines on land described in a schedule to the National Parks Act 1975 principally used to supply electricity to a facility used in conjunction with conservation, recreation, administration, or accommodation use on that land. This allows for the generation of electricity for park facilities.

If an existing dwelling is located within one kilometre of any turbine that forms part of a proposed wind energy facility, the permit application must be accompanied by evidence of the written consent of the owner of the dwelling. The application is prohibited by the planning scheme where evidence of written consent is not provided. The above mentioned exemptions apply.

Policy and Planning Guidelines for Development of Wind Energy Facilities in Victoria